Sunday, June 24, 2012

Settling in as a family of 3

Baby boy is taking a nap in his boppy, so I finally have a few minutes to catch up on the last 3.5 weeks of his life!
  • Being a mom is really hard. There have been a lot tears (from both me and Preston) and many stressed out phone calls placed to my own mom. I think the hardest thing about a newborn is the lack of any sort of feedback - you spend hours and hours feeding, rocking, soothing, etc. and the baby barely looks at you. I don't want to wish away this time, but I am looking forward to when he actually recognizes us and starts to smile.

  • Seeing J with Preston is basically the best thing I've ever seen in my life. He is such a good dad already. The first week when J was home from work was one of the best weeks ever. He helps me with whatever I need and makes sure I am taking care of myself as well as the baby - taking middle of the night diaper changes and rocking him back to sleep while I snooze.
     
  • Preston is obsessed with being worn in the carrier (we're using the Baby K'tan carrier for the newborn phase) and going for walks. He falls asleep almost immediately and I've started wearing him for a good portion of the day so I can get things done around the house. It's nice to have him close to me, but still have my hands free to do laundry, wash dishes, etc. He's also a big fan of the stroller and car seat/car rides. Baby boy just loves to be moving!

  •  Breastfeeding did not work for us and I'm slowly coming to terms with it. He's a formula baby and he's growing and thriving, so that's what helps when I start to get mom guilt about not being able to breastfeed. I don't know if I will ever want to share our story, but it was one of the hardest decisions that I've ever had to make. It kills me that I wasn't able to provide enough to feed him and the first week home, I was not in a good place mentally because of it. Luckily we have a very supportive pediatrician and a lactation consultant who both helped me realize that it was the right decision for us.

  • We started using our cloth diapers last week and so far, we're loving them! P came down with a pretty nasty case of diaper rash from the disposables, so we decided to try the cloth on a whim - we hadn't planned to start until he was 2-3 months old because I didn't think our one size pockets would fit him. Luckily, our fuzzibunz are able to be snapped down to a newborn size, which fits him perfectly. And after using the cloth diapers with cloth wipes for 2 days, the diaper rash was completely gone! He seems to really like them as well - they are super soft and plush, so I can imagine they feel pretty good. And since we're already doing about a million loads of laundry, another load of the diapers really isn't any big deal. Plus they look SO cute on his little tushie!

  •  We had newborn photos taken a few weeks ago and I can't wait to get them back! I think she was able to get some really cute ones - he was awake for part of the time and asleep for some as well, so there should be some variety. I have been working on the birth announcements using one of the sneak peak images and I can't wait to mail them out this week! 
And of course, here are the latest pics of the little man!
Father's Day!
Baby boy has about 100 outfits with crabs!
Latest obsession - our video monitor so we can keep an eye on him while he's sleeping (or in this case, not sleeping!)
Naps with dad in matching outfits
So alert!
Loving those chubby cheeks!
Fluffy cloth diaper butt!
He loves bath time (until he has to get out of the tub!)

6 comments:

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

So glad you're loving cloth diapers! We've used them since the start and almost 2 years later couldn't be happier!

Breastfeeding didn't work out for us either. Don't be hard on yourself. Like you said, as long as you have a happy growing baby that's all that matters!!

These first weeks are the hardest. Hang in there mama!

MCW said...

What a little munchkin. So adorable.

I am sorry breastfeeding didn't work out. Don't beat yourself up. He will thrive!

Always Organizing said...

Hey Kim!!! He is a doll and you are doing a great job. I hear you on the tears, I'm 7 weeks out and still cry at least once a week worrying that I'm doing everything "right". My very practical friend who is a Mom to 3 said "listen, if he is growing and happy you are doing everything right". She told me to stop reading the books, forums, etc. Do what is right for you and your baby.

The only thing that matters is that he is fed and happy. It's all good!

KatiePerk said...

Oh Momma! You are totally right. It is hard! But it does get better! I promise. Don't fret about the nursing stuff!! I know you wanted to. Things happen. But don't fret, he is adorable & growing! That is the important thing!! So happy the cloths worked out for you! We can't use them because our daycare doesn't allow them. Booo.

P*P*P said...

Seriously so cute! Sounds like you are adjusting well. I'm sure you're doing an absolutely wonderful job so far!!!

Barefoot in the Park said...

i am LOVING reading your updates! we aren't there yet, but i love reading all about the trials and tribulations :) keep it up FABULOUS mommy!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs