Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's in a name?

I think I've mentioned before that we are decided on a name for the baby. But we're not sharing it with anyone (even parents!) until he's here. I never realized how hard this would be, or how many people (including strangers!) would have such opinions about the name and bug us to tell them what we picked.

Honestly, before we knew the baby was a boy or a girl, we agreed on a boys name right away. I was actually sort of surprised by how easy it was. I've had this name as my #1 boys name choice for years and as soon as I suggested it to J, he was on board. Simple as that! Of course, we could not agree on a girls name AT ALL! So I was thinking the baby would be a girl just because of that! But then when little man showed his goods at the ultrasound, we both sort of breathed a sigh of relief that we could stop discussing names.

We did debate the middle name for a few days, as we wanted to incorporate a family name as the middle name. We got lists from both sides of the family and it turns out that both of our maternal grandfather's have the same name. So that pretty much ended that debate and his middle name was settled on pretty easily as well. I like that his middle name has significance to both sides of the family.

But it's been really hard to keep it a secret, especially since it's usually the 1st question people ask when they find out we're having a boy. It got to be so annoying that now I tell most people we haven't decided on a name yet, because if you tell them you have one but you're not sharing, it leads to a lot of whining and complaining. And then you get the suggestions of what you should name him - you know, because I would want a stranger in the grocery store line to name my baby! So for now, I just remain quiet and say we are still discussing it!

It's fun because we do call him by his name when we're alone and talk about him using his name. So far (knock on wood) we haven't slipped up in front of anyone else and I think we'll be good for the next 3 months. But I do really LOVE the name and I can't wait for everyone to find out! I think it will fit him perfectly and now I can't imagine him having any other name (even before meeting him!) So you all will find out in May!

7 comments:

KatiePerk said...

Aww! So glad it was an easy decision for you! People have opinions on everything don't they?! I can't wait to hear what you picked. Some lady approached me at home depot and asked if I was planning on breastfeeding. It was quite bizarre. I didn't know her.

MCW said...

I can only imagine how hard it is to choose a name. That is weird that people ask...I guess people love pregnant women and babies!

P*P*P said...

So exciting! I cannot wait to hear what your little boy's name is - I'm sure it's fabulous! :)

Always Organizing said...

How funny, our situation is really similar! We have had a boy's name picked for at least 2 years and had a list of girl's names that was undecided.

We are also keeping it to ourselves. I am not interested in hearing everyone's 2 cents about it especially some or our more opinionated family members ;)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

We are also keeping the name secret - our parents are not pleased, but I hope they understand! It is hard to keep the secret.

Busana Muslim said...

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..

Anonymous said...

I am also preggo w/ a boy and we aren't sharing either. It's getting harder not to slip in front of people and everyone does keep asking! So funny.

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs